Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Novels You Might Enjoy

Here are six novels that I really enjoyed this year, although all came out before 2009. I'm a little behind in my reading. In no particular order, the books are:
  1. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (heaven and healing)
  2. The March - E. L. Doctorow (Sherman's march - get in step)
  3. Winter's Bone- Daniel Woodrell (a 17 year-old holds a poverty stricken family together deep in the Ozarks; I think my cousins are in this)
  4. The Yiddish Policemen's Union - Michael Chabon (an alternative history, murder mystery, word fest)
  5. People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks (a mystery about a book - the Sarajevo Haggadah)
  6. Gilead - Marilynne Robinson (an aging third generation preacher writes to his son about life and family and of course theology)

No comments: