Here are 5 ways to improve your biblical/theological literacy in 2009.
1. Focus on just one biblical book for the entire year. Read it. Reread it. Study it. Read a commentary about it. Memorize key passages from it. Determine its genre and explore its literary structure.
2. Read one substantial scholarly work on a subject you're interested in: Historical Jesus, Old Testament, Archaeology, Dead Sea Scrolls, etc.
3. Each month explore the meaning of one biblical/theological word or concept: Lord's Supper, baptism, priest, inspiration, etc.
4. Read a piece of quality fiction and reflect on what it says about the human condition. Great novels are about life. So is great theology.
5. Continue to visit revJohn.